It’s Finals Time! The 52 winning songs from our monthly contests throughout 2010 will be vying for your love from right after our live show ends on December 4 (approximately 6 p.m. central time) until the end of our semi-traditional New Year’s Day Live Show (which ends at about 6 p.m. central time). The song with the most votes at the end of the dang contest will win the World Famous $12 plaque that Tony Kinsel usually springs for.
Here are a few other Hossey Award Finals tidbits that you might be interested in:
1. The 52 songs are our Top 5 finishers from each of our monthly contests in 2010. If you’re a mathematician, you might wonder why we don’t have 55 songs. Well… here’s the deal. Due to technical problems with the move to our new studio, we didn’t have a dang contest in October. So that should leave us with 50 finalists, right? Well, we had ties for 5th place in two months of 2010. So that means we had to put 2 extra songs in the dang finals.
2. As is our tradition, we’ll eliminate some low vote-getters during our live show each Saturday. We’ll knock out the bottom 10 during our Dec. 11 show, and the bottom 20 on our Dec. 18 show. Never fear, all songs that get eliminated will still be played all month long on the automated version of the dang show (which airs on Tuesday, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturday mornings), and they will very likely make their way back to the station in other ways in future months.
3. Interview Week for The Finals will be on Dec. 18. We’ll invite every band in the Top 10 to be on that show to shoot the bull with us for a little while. And, because Interview Week is always a fun and popular show, it works out perfectly that we’ll be repeating that show on Christmas Day. (That’s mostly because we don’t want anyone involved with our silly ole’ station to forsake their families and friends on Christmas Day because of this dang show).
4. Our crazy New Year’s Day show has proven to be fun and popular for the last two years, and so it may not be wise to change something that’s working well. But we’re going to change something anyway: Instead of cutting the voting off BEFORE the New Year’s Day show starts, we’re going to keep the voting going all through the show. We’re not exactly sure when the voting will end, but it’ll be sometime around 6 p.m. Central Time. We will give a “last call” for voting approximately 5 minutes before we cut off the votes and name our dang winner for 2010.
5. All songs in the Top 10 for 2010 will end up getting plenty of more airplay on the show throughout 2011. So, just because your favorite song doesn’t get the glory of being named the Song of the Year, doesn’t give you any dang right to bitch.
6. During the New Year’s Day Show Hoss will name his choice(s) for the 2010 “Commenter of the Year” award. The prize for this dang award is one of Hoss’s hand-crocheted afghans. So that means Hoss will have to tell his story about how he came to be a male crocheter (and proud of it) at least once during the month.
7. We’re anticipating a LOT of interest in the live shows for December, and we’ll be buying extra band-width for our stream in order to accommodate the larger audiences. But there’s a good chance that we’ll still not have enough band-width at some points in the month. If you get locked out of a live show for a while, please accept our apologies, and PLEASE try again in a few minutes, and please remember that every live show will be recorded and replay multiple times throughout the month. Also, all interviews will be available for download within a week or so of when they originally air.
8. If you have fun with the dang 2010 Finals, please stay with us throughout 2011. We’ll get right back to action with the start of next year’s contest on January 8. (And we’ve got a lot of new stuff coming to the station in 2011, too.)
9. Because we believe in offering the utmost of support to the bands we play, HossTheBoss.com offers all bands in The Finals the option of entering a different song in the December contest. If you notice that a song in The Finals is different from the one that we played originally on the show, well, that’s why, dang it.